Damaged or dead trees are not just unsightly; they pose potential hazards to you and your home especially during the next storm. It’s best in these situations to hire the best possible tree removal company. Leaving this work to the professionals is in your best interest. A tree removal company will give you peace of mind and help keep you safe. In this article, we’ll go over the top 8 questions you should ask before hiring a tree removal company. We hope they help you in your decision.
- Will the tree removal company provide you with an up-to-date certificate of insurance and copy of their work contract? You should ask this first because it’s very important to have this information. You want to make sure the tree removal company is properly insured and that you’re adequately protected should something go wrong.
- Does the company have adequate credentials? You should hire a company with an International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) certified arborist like us. Although there is no licensing required for performing tree service in the state of Texas, you want to find a service that is accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- What about references? You’ll want to ask the tree removal company for references from previous customers. They should be able to provide you with some you can get in contact with. Then, you should call them and ask them how satisfied they were with the service and anything else you can think of for an answer. You can also check the internet for referrals like on Angie’s List. If you’re a member of Angie’s List, you can find our reviews here.
- Will the tree removal company give you a detailed estimate? You should always try to get written estimates from three companies with equal credentials. Then, you compare the prices and scope of work. Don’t necessarily choose the cheapest option. Choose the best option.
- How will the company approach the job and what equipment will they use? You want a tree removal company to be sensitive to your home and needs. You don’t want them to use heavy power equipment on your lawn and flower beds. This will ruin them. If they do need to go across your lawn with equipment, make sure they know where sprinkler heads are so they don’t get damaged. You should ask what their policy is if they do in fact damage something. Make sure it’s acceptable to you. We suggest that you take a photo of the area before work begins in case there is damage. Also get an understanding of how the team will clean up once the job is finished. A good tree removal company will pick up after itself.
- When will you pay the tree removal company? A reputable tree service does not ask for money up front because they have the equipment necessary to do the job. Your contract terms should state that payment will be made when the job is completed to your satisfaction.
- Does the company appear professional? Is the company’s truck well taken care of? Their equipment? If they don’t take good care of their tools and trucks, then how can you trust them to take good care of your trees and your yard? Does their website appear professional and well put together? The design and content can give you an idea of how well they run their business.
- Will the crew be using safety gear while they’re on your property? OSHA (The Occupational Safety and Health Administration) requires that people wear adequate tree climbing gear such as harnesses, belts and ropes for any tree care operation. Reputable tree companies require that their workers be protected.
When hiring a tree removal company, you should consider protection for yourself and your property. By asking these questions, you’ll go a long way toward achieving that goal. If you have any questions for us, at Austin Tree Services Inc., we’re happy to answer them. Give us a call today at 512-341-8888.